Thursday, December 1, 2011

THE CONFUSED VEGAN

Pictured here: Vegan Holiday Kitchen (Sterling Epicure), Vegan Diner (Running Press),
Simple Vegan! (Hearst Books), and a turkey.


















THE CONFUSED VEGAN
I’ve never really liked cooking. I can get by okay in the kitchen, but I can’t honestly say that I enjoy it. On the other hand, I love eating. In fact, before I’ve finished my breakfast, I’m usually thinking about what I’d like to have for dinner.
The challenge is, I can’t eat all that much. I’m basically a vegan, but I eat meat, which I realize makes no sense at all. You could call me a confused vegan. I eat vegan-ish because I’m allergic to eggs and dairy. Oh, and I’m also very sensitive to wheat, among a laundry list of other food allergies and sensitivities, but I’ll spare you. I’ll hold on to that until writers block sets in for a future blog post. It should fill a full 300 words.
Anyhow, cooking really good food without wheat, egg, or dairy (that includes butter, too) is highly difficult. It also proves to be a real pain when you’re out to eat. Yes, I am that annoying friend at the dinner table who drives the waiter nuts with all these special requests for my entrée order. And dessert? Forget it. Unless there is a good sorbet or fresh fruit on the menu, I’ll drown my envy in an extra glass of wine while my dining companions devour something delicious.
So what I’d like my blog to be about is my adventures in attempting to cook really good food (gulp) and seek out restaurants that cater to my food limitations. I’m also going to try my hand at vegan baking, because I desperately miss cookies and cupcakes. This should be a fun, entertaining ride.
(Craig: I can expense my meals as market research for this blog, right?)
See you next Thursday. Same time same place.
Best,
Caroline
@carolinebrown

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At December 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Aurora said...

Since I've been nursing my daughter and noticed she gets an upset tummy when I eat dairy I've been trying to keep as much dairy out of my diet as possible, and its really much harder than I thought (seems like there's cheese or butter in just about EVERYTHING yummy)! So I'm definitely looking forward to following you :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home