Monday, February 27, 2012

CHILI DOMINATION

CHILI DOMINATION
I couldn’t be more excited about making the cut to compete in the Third Annual Philly Chili Bowl next weekend! As the reigning co-champion of the Fulford Family Reunion Grits Cook-Off (2008), I’m feeling pretty good about handling the heat. As for my recipe… it’s top-secret, but still undecided. Here are my thoughts about a winning chili.
One of the first pitfalls of many chilis is undercooking. A chili should all but melt in your mouth, and the flavors should have enough time to mix and mingle: no single component should be shouting. You want a chili that purrs, with just a hint of danger. Two, acidity: if your chili is tomato-based, try roasting the tomatoes first to bring out their natural sugars, or counter the acid with something sweet. Three, spice. Chili doesn’t have to cause your mouth to combust, but the heat should have a warming effect, and drive you to the bottom of the bowl. Here’s how my Rules of Chili are playing out.
I went first to game: venison, and perhaps a blend of other lean meats. I’d steer clear of beans to keep the focus on the meaty flavors, and slow-cook the tomatoes down into a sludge before putting the chili together. My test batch included cubed venison roast and a “hunter’s blend” from D’Angelo Bros. in the Italian Market, a magical place. (Don’t miss the venison prosciutto!) The mix included no fewer than 7 mammals—rabbit, bison, venison, elk, and more—and was ultra-lean and spicy. The venison was top-notch, and my meat-and-tomato chili simmered for a few hours. It was decent, but was it blue-ribbon worthy? I went back to the drawing board, swinging wide in the other direction.
Next attempt: a veggie-lover’s chili, redolent with a toasty-hot homemade chili paste. I’ve got a few other ideas (eggplant? lentils? poblanos? a cheesy addition?), but they’ll have to go through the test kitchen first. I’ll be there on Saturday with 6 quarts of the best batch: my wooden spoons, fingers, and toes are crossed for victory.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home