Thursday, December 22, 2011

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR HOLIDAY TREATS AND…


YOU CAN TAKE YOUR HOLIDAY TREATS AND…

The worst part of the holiday season is the treats. I say this not because I’m watching calories or really concerned about putting on a few—that’s half of the fun of the holiday season, right? I say it because, thanks to my food allergies, I can’t enjoy them.

They are a constant tease, especially around the office. Over the past week or so, every time I walk into the kitchen at Running Press my senses are overwhelmed by caramel popcorn, chocolates, nuts, and cookies of every size, shape, and flavor. This morning there was even a cheesecake sent to the office from one of our vendors. They all make my mouth water and I contemplate, well, what if I eat just a little bit? Bad idea. Consequences are much worse than a couple minutes of pure bliss while indulging on some sugary, gooey, wonderfulness.

So what’s a girl with a sweet tooth to do? Vegan gluten-free baking attempt, round number two.

This time I picked a much easier recipe from Terry Walter’s cookbook, Clean Food. And I’m so glad I tried baking from her cookbook again after my Brownie Baking Fiasco. These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies turned out perfect, and only took 30 minutes to make. I might just be able to get the knack of this vegan baking thing after all.

Oh, and guess what? I fully intend to be selfish and eat these cookies all by myself. Bah humbug.

-
Caroline

Here’s the recipe, should you wish to make your own:


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or Raisin) Cookies

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup unbleached white flour or brown rice flour (I used teff flour)
¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I couldn’t find this and used sweetened instead)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup maple syrup
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (skipped these, not really a walnut fan)
½ cup semisweet dark chocolate chips (or raisins)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, coconut, cinnamon, and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together syrup, oil, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until evenly combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips or raisins. Press dough into equal-size balls, place onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven—and do your best not to eat them all in one sitting!

Makes 2 dozen.

Recipe courtesy of Clean Food © 2009 by Terry Walters, Sterling Epicure.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At December 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Aurora said...

they look delicious! I've had success with other recipes in that book but haven't tried those cookies yet...they are definitely next on my list :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home